Why do Freelance Clients go Wacky on a Weekend?

I am already sorely missing the recently departed block button on Fiverr.

I had a buyer in November last year who was nothing special, but who was in no way monstrous to work with. They wanted an article for their CRM website blog about the benefits of CRM software. I delivered, they were happy, end of story.

More recently on Friday, I received a message from this buyer. My last article had helped grab some traffic on their website and they wanted more. I said this was fine, and that they could place an order whenever they like.

The buyer places an order for 1 x 500-word article and states that they want the article to focus on ‘Top Ways to Increase Sales in 2019.’ - So far so good.

I deliver a 500-word article a couple of days later, discussing 5 ways to improve sales, which is optimized for relevant keywords. I also make sure that the article quietly pitches use of CRM software. However, after a few hours the buyer requests a revision. This request reads as follows:

Can you please align the article within the marketing automation domain, as thats one of the main goals of our product.

So basically you have to deliver something which at the end have to mean that CRM and Automation can grow your business.

Now, I hate this. An article discussing how CRM software and marketing automation can grow your business is simply not the same as an article discussing Top Ways to Increase Sales in 2019. In this case, I’m faced with a full rewrite which could have been avoided, which eats my time and forces me to delay starting work on other projects. What I also hate, though, is the fact that the rewrite is pointless.

It is clear to me that the buyer wants to rank for SEO purposes for a Top Sales Tips article, but have the article itself focus heavily on 'why you need to invest in (preferably their) CRM software. - And this simply doesn’t work. More than likely, it will lead to people who are looking for sales tips clicking on links, only to click away again, when they realize that the article doesn’t discuss what they thought it would.

Given the above, I spend a few hours rewriting the article in question but try to still make content relevant to the original topic. (Basically, to stop people clicking away.) The result is an article which discusses 5 meaningful sales tips for 2019, three of which focus more heavily than the original on CRM software features and how implementing a CRM system can help grow your business.

Now, this year, I have had quite a few buyers ask for complete rewrites after delivery for similar reasons to this buyer. A client says they want an article about Bitcoin price predictions for 2019. Then they ask for a revision and say something like "please write this to talk more about the possible effect of Brexit on the Bitcoin price."

Usually, when the above happens, I rewrite content without grumbling. If the same buyers then start placing orders like this repeatedly, I politely warn them that they need to be more specific in their order requirements in future. Then if they ignore this request, I block them.

Since I can no longer block people and since this buyer suggested that they will need lots more content in future, I redelivered their work with the following message:

Hi,

Please find attached your amended order. Also, please note that requesting a blog covering “Sales Tips in 2019,” is very different from requesting a blog detailing "how CRM and Automation can grow your business."

It is also not really a good idea to try and disguise what you want a piece of content to talk about (i.e how CRM and Automation can grow your business) with a different topic title.

This is counter to SEO, as it makes it look like you are trying to trick people into visiting a page to learn about sales tips when really you want to discuss an (albeit associated) completely different topic to what they are searching for.

Given the above, please note that with any future order, I must insist that you specify exactly what topic you want to be discussed, especially if this is different to the subject of your requested article title.

I hope that this helps.

Kind Regards,

Andy

As far as I am concerned, I have just redelivered a full rewrite without grumbling, given this buyer some free advice, and made a perfectly reasonable reqest that they be more specific in their order requirements when ordering in future. However, shortly afterward, I receive this:

Dude,

the reviewed article got overloaded with “****” (their CRM brand name), like **** this, ***** that etc etc… I think you got what I meant but you do not like to review copy…

Also automation and CRM of course influence sales pipeline for the better, thats a no brainer, and you cant argue with this…

Anyway what I asked, was to relate the copy with product, not to overkill it with the brand name.

Im not trying to trick pips on the ■■■■ article, Im just looking to followup with best practices of SEO and in same time to relate the copy with Product.

Im going to keep the initial article and adjust on my own, the reviewed one is just trash.

Needless to say, I did not overload their article with brand name drops, nor was my article ‘trash.’ In fact, it was actually superior to the original. I’m used to this though. In fact, it seems like weekends, in particular, bring me more buyers who place orders like this and explode into outrage, than at any other time of the week.

I also seem to get a lot of orders placed on a Friday which never start, as buyers never fill in their order requirements. (Most, though, order extra fast 1-day delivery for some reason.) Weekends also bring me more scammers than usual, and more buyers who order services which I do not provide, or message me to say “I need an article about whatever,” before not actually placing an order but screaming at me a few days later "WHEN CAN I EXPECT MY CONTENT?"

Given the above, most weekends are my busiest times of the week, and the most stressful. Ideally, I’d take weekends off. There is just that nagging problem of vacations killing sales and the small matter of the rent still needing to be paid… :frowning:

I don’t understand the need to be so vile. Does saying stuff like this make him feel better about himself? What if in the future he wants another article - then he’s screwed. :rage: I mean really, what’s the matter with people these days?

Well, duh! Everyone here knows the quality of your writing and no one would even contemplate you delivering anything that is remotely considered trash!

If it’s a business order, I bet they just placed it quickly with the thought, “I’ll fill it in later.” They took off to go home for the weekend. Some, probably don’t know the 5r rules - some are just jerks.

1 Like

Yes, the vileness irks me. However, I seem to experience this a lot. I put it down to the slow degeneracy of a human race who feel like it’s perfectly A-OK to speak and act however they like, as long as they are hidden behind a screen of some kind.

1 Like

trick pips

What does this mean? Googling reveals that pip tricks is some kind of card shennanigans, but that doesn’t seem to fit with whatever he was trying to say (other than “you suck because you did what I asked and tried to stop me ruining my business”).

You could just have 3-day minimum gigs (perhaps you do?) and pop up the 1-day delivery price to put these people off, then add a cheery “gone for the weekend” message - more professionally written than that, naturally - for anyone who orders at 5pm on a Friday. Might be worth having “office hours” mentioned in your profile too.

Of course, none of this will work against this kind of buyer, bar the price increases (and even then, you will still come across them - just a lot less)

This is an incredibly weak argument. What it the CRM is made of :poop:? For example, your lead types in fgetywef and a@a.com if you’re harvesting email addresses. Does his wunderproduct account for that? EH?

The CRM is made of :poop:. I’m not even sure the buyer knows what their CRM actually does, as all they can talk about is ‘marketing automation’ without actually specifying what or how their CRM automates anything. It’s also leaps and bounds behind GDPR (despite being based in Europe). Namely, as when you read about the thing, all you get between the lines is "THIS IS AN EMAIL ADDRESS VACCUM."

Anyway, they’ve butchered the original article I delivered but not added anything. I just hope that they now disappear from my life forever.

Regarding delivery times, I’m kind of happy with how mine are set up. I just wish I could also set up a trap door for little Hitlers.

1 Like