Video Chat on Fiverr: Fabulous or Kill Me Now News?

Fiverr seems to be introducing an exciting new video feature (that doesn’t work yet). Here’s a screenshot, lifted from the forum:

I don’t have this, and I already hate it. I do not need video chats to get information on what to do. I do not want to have to get presentable so I can listen to someone drone on about their project (when a short brief will do). I do not want to have to deal with inevitable issues as a result of buggy implementation.

Just no.

Anyway, here is a poll. Vote now (not anonymous - I’m nosy)!

• This is the Fiverr equivalent of stubbing my toe on a spiked rock and I hate it
  • I love this because I enjoy speaking to people I don’t know because I’m weird like that
  • I don’t care because I’m one of those people when they get polled that everyone assumes is a bit stupid

0 voters

3 Likes

A new help page has just gone up. It is only for PROs at the moment. Phew, etc!

https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/using-video-chat

1 Like

I honestly like the video chat feature. Despite that it would be a painful feature for camera shy peeps just like me, i think it would make communication much easier between sellers and their customers.

It will make it easier to discuss different stages of a project i’m working on with a customer. I truly hate it when i send a customer a message requesting his feedback for a prototype i created, then him responding after 3 days with not what i requested, so i send back a message clarifying what feedback i’m looking for and the loop just keeps going. A 30 minute video chat between me and the customer would solve all this unneeded hassle.

However, i wouldn’t at all go on a video chat session with a new buyer. If i’m going to do it, i’ll do it with return buyers.

1 Like

My issue with it isn’t so much hashing out revision issues (MS Word has track changes to make this much easier and more direct) - it’s the fact that for many people, ‘chat’ is an easy way to escape sitting down and considering what they want from you in the first place, leading down a long, tedious, and boring garden path of rambling conversation from them in which you pretend to be fascinated by what they say and/or taking notes.

Quite frankly, I’d like to skip all that nonsense, have them write what they want, then clarify. I don’t want to listen to people ramble on for 20 minutes about their startup’s mission statement (which should be maximum 2 sentences anyway).

It only seems to be activated in orders though - I can see some issues with assumptive buyers who purchase thinking that everyone is OK with video chat going ahead then cancelling as soon as they learn that you’re not a fan of it.

Hello Sir , I like order ur besic $5 gig . Need video chet b4 order ?

You here sir?

You here sir?

Meksellin just initiated a video chat.

Why you no accept?

Why you no call sir?

TheFreaky has left the chat.
7 Likes

I’ve been there before! :rofl::rofl:
It will definitely have it’s own pros and cons. I’m not a fan of video chat either but i guess it will be helpful for others and i personally think it would help me too in the web design field. You might even ask for extra charges for a video chat session! (Might be useful for specific services)

But in the other hand, it might be a waste of time if the buyer doesn’t stick to the discussion and it would also lead to many awkward situations.

Them having it only activated for pro gigs makes sense. As they have to go ‘professional’ with their customers. But indeed this feature will cause many troubles like the one you mentioned, we don’t need another trigger for cancellations.

1 Like

Another good reason chat is bad! Someone with the world’s worst English accent and microphone joins the chat!

“I’m sorry, I have no bloody idea what you’re saying!”

2 Likes

That’ll be me then!

2 Likes

My passion is making video call, pardon sir?

2 Likes

Oh, Scottish accents can be lovely and understandable or a whirlwind of what. Glaswegian in particular. I used to know a bloke from Glasgow - I only understood him every third Saturday after a few drinks.

4 Likes

Aye, ye bloody Scottish accent.

1 Like

Don’t know if you can see these or not - series 9 of Still Game. I cried at the end. :cry::sob:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006qgl8/still-game?seriesId=m0002wsf

They had some big(ish) names in it - Midge Ure, Martin Compston etc.

I’m much more easily understood than I was 30-odd years ago.Took my form class a whole year to work out I was doing the register - they couldn’t understand a word!

4 Likes

Video chat is only used by people who can’t communicate anything clearly and have egos they need appeasing.

Guru allows sellers to use Skype to communicate with clients and it works like a train wreck.

Buyers post jobs at $500 or contact you directly to discuss a big project. In every case, all Skype conversations later resulted in were buyers offering to pay $4, while insisting on screwy working relationships. i.e. Deliver 28 articles to us over the course of the next 2-weeks and well pay you a limp sum then via bank transfer. - No. Not happening.

Of course, only allowing chats to take place after an order is placed negates the scam problem with video chat. However, as this gets rolled out site wide like the collaboration tool, buyers might start to expect it.

Worst case scenario as I see it:

• Buyer places an order and writes in their requirements, “Please schedule a chat with me via video to discuss.”
  • I say no and the buyer cancels because they really want to feel important by being allowed to ramble on about their project without saying what they want
  • Alternatively, I say yes, and buyers start reeling off lists of requirements which go beyond what is offered in a gig, and orders descend into chaos

Of course, mek-sellers will likely applaud this feature. However, as far as I’m concerned I’m a freelancer not manning a like at the Samaritans.

3 Likes

Netflix stopped at the 7th season. I might need to pirate them though. :smile:

2 Likes

I expect that this will eventually be rolled out across the platform for all users (and possibly in all cases like the inbox), but the PRO sellers are getting it first to see if it’s viable. I will not personally be using it, and I have a full arsenal of perfectly competent excuses as well as heavy #metoo hints to roll out if I have to.

As far as I am concerned, I have my procedures in place and they work well to help me get the information I need to do a job - I do not need to hear a billion ums, ahs, and vague thoughts about potential stuff as I sit there, rictus-faced with delight to hear their very important thought dressed up in a smart business top and party-slob bottoms.

The biggest issue is entitled buyers, of course. Any relationship between a client and a freelancer needs to be one of respect, and if a freelaner declines, that should be the end of the matter - but bad reviews, levels systems, and other nonsense may lead to some pressure.

In any case, I’ll see what happens if/when I get my first lovely buyer who insists. I am a copywriter who is paid to manipulate people, after all!

1 Like

Additionally, regarding what Frank said over there, why would anyone want to play “hunt the soundbite” for a bit of information when they could just scan a bit of text or even ctrl + f [keyword] on the order page?

Nightmare! Not to mention people with dodgy internet connections having to constantly waste time and bandwidth waiting for a segment of possibly-wrong video to load up.

2 Likes

I have seen what you had written on the Fiverr forum. It is true, I’ve had the chance to discuss with some "potential clients using skype and it’s just as you said there.

I had video-chatted a couple of times, with clients that I had $400+ orders on Upwork. However, in those scenarios you should be professional and listen to the client, answer his questions, give suggestions and similar. The project was for a Shopify store set up, and it helped me a lot.

On the other side, I have had some other cheapos, just as you said, asking for a video chat only to lowball you. I’ve had a video chat, for a set of social media banners as an interview (for a Silicon Valley startup). They were interviewing me like I was on a job interview for a Fortune 500 company. I politely told them “I feel uncomfortable answering all those questions, for a simple project which is completely straight-forward. I am sorry for your time, but I won’t be the designer you are looking for”. The interviewer said that she was sorry, and kept asking me questions like “How much do you value teamwork?”, “If you are confident that your design is great, but our team doesn’t like it, what will you do?”.

On Fiverr, most of the people requiring a video chat, would be cheap clients, trying to waste your time.

1 Like

4 Likes

Lol. He seems to be plugging zoom.us a bit too… I wonder if he’s partly responsible for this monstrosity?

In either case, the logic in the whole video call is holier than Swiss cheese. Plus sellers can already optionally offer Skype calls with Fiverr’s approval. In this case, I think we’re just looking at another case of the great Fiverr RnD ape flinging :poop: at a wall to see what sticks.

They also recently did a bit of a marketing faux pass by banning a popular Youtuber who decided to try working on Fiverr for a week.

I can’t see what the issue was here. He apparently only had one order which wasn’t even an order, just a message which he delivered a file with FOC.

Bit odd really. Also, I find this person personally quite irritating. In this case, skip to here to get to the basic results of his Fiverr career experiment.

Recommend you hire a new team? :slight_smile:

My last video chat went:

Client: “Hi”

Me: “Hi, just before we get started can I confirm that your budget for this project is actually $20 per article as stated in your message earlier.” (It was for a big project)

Client: “Well actually, that’s something we’re really hoping to talk about. Because this is a big project…”

Me: “Bye,”

And I’ve never logged into Guru since.

5 Likes