Tips on Overcoming Writer's Block

Contributing Author: Suha

Writer’s block – that horrible feeling of emptiness when even the slightest sentence, the slightest written word sounds wrong to the ears, and the writer is left with a numbing sensation of nothingness. Although some people say writer’s block is just an excuse for procrastination or a figment of the writer’s imagination, for many writers, the block can be their very own personal kind of hell.

In this article, we have come up with five clever ways to get rid of a writer’s age-old nemesis: the writer’s block. Read on to find out more.

1. Write.
    No, this is not a joke. As impossible as it may seem, the only way to in fact overcome writer’s blog is to put it simply, write. Write nonsense if you have to whatever words come into your head string them into sentences and put them down on paper.
  • Your work may be lifeless, boring dull or all the above – however, at one point even the block itself will take pity on you and bam! Your creative spark ignites, and the jumbled up words finally begin to make some sense. Do not stop writing throughout the phase and eventually, the problem cures itself.
  1. Get out of the house.
    It’s possible that due to spending too much time in front of that laptop, typing in pages upon pages your brain has finally decided to shut down and give itself a vacation.
  • What you need now is some fresh air; put the book on hold and step outside to take a walk. Head to the park, the coffee shop, or simply take a stroll around the neighborhood to clear your mind from the problem. Once you get back home, inspiration may very well have come with you.
  1. Try something random and new.
    Sometimes writers may be at a dilemma about the richness of their plot or the depth of the characters. The piece may be near complete, but something may seem off about it and hence begins the dreaded writer’s block.
  • Trying new things is a great way to open p new avenues for inspiration. For example, you may be the type of person who is always out with friends, partying and whatnot till 3 am. What if this time you decide to instead pay a visit to every one of your family members and catch up on how they’ve been doing? Alternatively, how about you take a trip alone this time without your usual gaggle of people and travel somewhere new solo. All of these can lead to unexpected situations and a twist in the storyline.
  1. Read a book.
    When working on a piece of writing it is not uncommon for writers to get so lost in the plot of their novel that they begin to lose their zeal for reading. Many people say that when they read a book they now automatically start to dissect sentence structure and wording as a habit instead of concentrating on the real story. Don’t be that person.
  • Reading a good book might be the key to distracting your mind from the array of problems it has and makes some room for awesome, dazzling inspiration. Take some time off to read that novel you’ve wanted to for ages and wait for the writer’s block to dissipate.
  1. Spend time with a person who makes you feel happy
    Inspiration can come to you in the form of a person as well. Spend some time with a loved one, and you may find yourself clearing from the block in your head and returning refreshed and rejuvenated from the encounter.

Any other suggestions? :thinking: Comment below.

But you live so far away! :slight_smile:

I consider writer’s block a permanent state of being peppered by small literary islands of insight. I wash up on one on occasion. I write a few chapters and the future seems bright. But then the sea starts rising and I have to start all over… :frowning:

1 Like

Yup! Me too! I have a heck of a time getting started, but once I’m in I typically do okay . . . then there are the forever blocks. Sometimes I get it line edited or get bits of it beta read - just to get some ideas in which direction I’m going.

1 Like