Stuff from Other Forums, Sites, Blogs! 😆

Why on earth would a supposedly university - go around downloading forum posts as lecture for students? The whole thing was something I typed up with responses . What the heck are they teaching at this particular university? “How to sell on Fiverr?” :confounded:

2 Likes

Here’s an old but still relevant article for freelancers.

Reselling Clearance Items

1 Like

Oh, my gosh, I was lurking on 5r forum and ran across this in the first post I clicked. I laughed so hard!

5r Forum Post

3 Likes

And when the seller complains to 5R and tries to get the review changed he will get in trouble.

3 Likes

I do hope they will post that on the forum! :laughing:

1 Like

Another ha, ha, ha moment! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Hot off of Quora! Had me rolling!

1 Like

If anyone else has a profile on Quora, maybe you can answer this question. The person specifically asked me for the answer - maybe because everyone else is rambling and didn’t answer the OP’s Q. I guess I’m getting a reputation here. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, since I do not sell on any micro sites, I do not know the answer.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Upwork-approve-freelancer-profiles-What-are-their-criteria

I don’t, so I could not view the answers to the question.

My various answers on Quora have been viewed 1.7 thousand times.

That nuts! :crazy_face:

That is the most any of my forum post have been viewed, like ever - more than Fiverr, Amazon forum, writer’s forum - :scream:

People are directly requesting me to answer their questions. I guess I must have made an impact in the few days I’ve been on there. :grin:

2 Likes

Don’t get your hopes too high :eyes: I thought the same, until I started getting requests to answer questions totally unrelated to anything I had posted, questions that I had no idea how to answer, to the point of the requests becoming regular spam :expressionless: Quora, like F, is filled with spammers and meksel mekask & mekanswer :stuck_out_tongue: (so many ask dumb questions just for the sake of asking or spamming)

1 Like

Yup, I noticed that too.

Several of the request had nothing to do with freelancing, books or editing. :grin:

I just pass on those questions. I answer less than 10 a day. I don’t really have time for anything more than that.

2 Likes

I wish I could have been this spoiled. I don’t understand the parent’s mentality of being held hostage by their child. Granted I don’t have any kids, so I can’t really talk here but geesh!

Is a spoiled kid these days the norm? I worked for my first car, went to college working part-time and tons of student loans/credit card debts to pay off. It took me, what seemed like, forever to pay off all my debts after college.

I am proud to say I worked for everything I have. The weird thing is that I always felt kinda guilty for having nice things - maybe a bit embarrassed. I dunno, it’s weird.

Quora: What should I do thread

2 Likes

we definitely live in a more consumerist world than we used to. there’s always been a pressure - as a teenager in the west - to get the ‘right’ stuff to fit in. But perhaps now it’s worse because that pressure is everywhere - the internet is pretty much omnipresent, and I can definitely see teenagers only wanting a very specific phone because everyone else has it (etc - I’m sure we have all used this ‘but Moooooom’ moan once).

Only difference is, it’s a stupid $1,500 phone that will be unfashionable in 9 months, not a pair of specific-brand jeans (lets say $100?). Add to that parents who may be working very hard to give their family a fairly comfortable life who simply don’t have the time - or energy - to give the kids attention and love, and they’ll get gifts thrown at them in substitute. It’s worth noting that US salaries don’t stretch as far as they used to, but that’s another can o’ worms. 1970s, a man could support a whole family, buy a house, all that good shiz on one decent salary. These days?

It’s not just America, either. And that is the third, final poison of this toxic society. Manufacturing jobs and the like have gone aboad to other nations, which means the service industry and retail are really all that’s left for the vast amount of average people with no real defining skills, talents, or bits of very expensive paper. The economy needs money to be spent - which means that everything, from the political system to the media and whatever is all pointed at the alter of consumerism.

If you want it, you can have it with the magic credit dollars we just invented out of thin air. Schools are also dismal these days - how can teachers control the classroom when they’re barely allowed to discipline Johnny when he’s being a naughty little boy (and disrupting the class) for fear of angry helicopter parents, school disciplinary boards for teachers, and who knows what else?

Sure, the kid’s a spoilt, entitled brat - but it took a society gone haywire to bring it all to that point. Cheer up, this monster isn’t even in its final form yet :wink:

3 Likes

Ain’t that the truth?!?! :roll_eyes:

Kids charge, charge, charge :credit_card: without thinking about interest or payback.

Nowadays, thank goodness, you can’t declare bankruptcy without a judge’s consent. I know someone that was denied because, according to the judge, he made too much money & his Bill’s (credit cards) were all frivolous.

Boy, was he mad. Judge told him, “Exercise Equipment, imported wine, dining out, motorcycle, gold watch, new apple computer, among other non essential things that summed up to over $100k are not a justification to cheat the banks/creditors from getting their money.”

Apparently, if he had essential things like medical Bill’s, groceries, loss of job, sickness, he’d have sympathy.

To play devil’s advocate, those selfsame banks and creditors presumably had access to his records (or credit score) and could see that his lifestyle was without his means but wanted their own pound of flesh (plus interest!) later and signed it off.

I certainly wouldn’t buy any of the above unless I had the cash to hand - I don’t do credit. Well, even if I wanted to I couldn’t. Thanks, Greek economic crisis!

IDK. I got into a shed load of debt between 18 to 21. It wasn’t my fault, though. Everywhere I went, I had people giving me credit. I could max out a £500 credit card and have a letter from the bank the next day saying "Congrats! We just increased your limit to £2,000!"

Thankfully, I was wise enough to do the smart thing and err… Well, its all gone now. :wink:

In my opinion, though, things are much worse now in 2019 than they were in the early 2000s. There is more marketing pressure on people to buy must-have rubbish, and the cost of living everywhere has skyrocketed.

Up until 2000 - 2008 - ish in the UK (depending on where exactly), you could still buy a half decent house or apartment for £100K. the average take-home salary of most people was still £20K to $30K. With that, you could get a £100K mortgage over 10-20 years and have a reasonable lifestyle. The same goes for renting.

Now property prices have quadrupled (at least) in most areas, rents have gone up, taxes have gone up, and banks are more reluctant to lend without you having a hefty deposit. People I know, therefore, have mortgages which they take out in their 30’s, which in some cases, they are going to be paying back until their 60s or 70s.

As I see it, that ain’t going to happen. They probably won’t have the same job in 5-years and they live off credit because they have to. This has become the new financial culture of the present and coming generation. It’s not by choice, though. It’s more by necessity.

It’s also important not to overlook the power of marketing. Take that Gillete commercial and Apple. Products these days aren’t marketed on their material worth or practical value. Instead, marketers intentionally elicit dopamine driven emotional responses in people. Usually, they also elicit impassioned emotional responses.

It’s easy to say “don’t spoil a child.” Is this child spoilt, though? Or is she having a breakdown because for years, she has had what registers in her brain as a real emotional relationship with a brand/item, which her chief caregivers are telling her she can’t have anymore?

The chances are, this girls parents bought her an iPhone in the early years, and have always upgraded phones for the latest model until they started coming out every year with a $1K+ price tag.

In that time their daughter used her iPhone as the chief way she socially interacts with the world, finds dates to hook up with, and stores all her most precious memories. The parents saw the phone as a phone. However, the daughter literally loved the phone.

This is why my children won’t have TV, phones, or anything techy unless it’s a desktop PC and they are using it to learn to code.

1 Like

Looking into my crystal ball…

I HATE YOU DAD! WHY CAN’T YOU BE COOL LIKE ALL THE OTHER PARENTS LIKE DARREN’S DAD GOT HIM THE IPHONE 99 WITH THE AR AUTORETICULATOR LENS™ ON IT ON LAUNCH DAY OMG I WANT TO DIE AND IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT THERE I HOPE YOU’RE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF AND CODING IS FOR NERDS OH MY GOD DON’T YOU KNOW ANYTHING

I tuned out there.

Hey, just wait for a few days after Christmas, when so many kids express their hate for their parents who failed to buy them whatever.

Shouldn’t they be blaming Santa for that? :thinking:

2 Likes

Capitalism is pure evil [read it in Slavoj Zizek’s style].

1 Like