🥁 [POLL] Fonts Galore 🤯

I’ve just made this poll out of curiosity, so if you’re a graphic designer, writer or have any other font-involving activities, feel free to vote :slight_smile:

How many fonts do you have on your computer?

• ~1K (I like to keep it small and tidy :sunglasses: )
  • 1K-10K (I’m a font addict :eyes: )
  • 10K-100K+ (I live for option paralysis! :crazy_face: )

0 voters

What font manager do you use? (feel free to comment why)

• Suitcase Fusion
  • FontExpert
  • FontBase
  • RightFont
  • NexusFont
  • FontExplorer X
  • None

0 voters

How do you organize your fonts?

• I have them sorted by categories and/or keywords
  • I just randomly throw new fonts at my font manager
  • I don’t organize them nor use a font manager

0 voters

Do you know the difference between a typeface and a font?

• Duh! :wink:
  • Uhm… :thinking:

0 voters

Do you know the visual difference between a sans, serif & slab-serif?

• Duh! :wink:
  • Uhm… :thinking:

0 voters

What kind of font person are you?

• :drooling_face: Freebie Hunter (I only have eyes for free fonts)
  • :money_with_wings: Small Pockets (I pay for a font I like once in a while)
  • :moneybag: VIP / Premium (willing to pay for any font I want)

0 voters

How important are fonts in your line of work?

• Fonts are a critical part of my work
  • I don’t rely on fonts for my work
  • I create new fonts, so… :sunglasses:

0 voters

How much time do you spend choosing the right fonts for a piece of work?

• :slot_machine: Less than 5-10 minutes
  • :mantelpiece_clock: Half an hour, an hour tops!
  • :dizzy_face: Hours, sometimes a whole day

0 voters

What are the most important qualities a font must have for you?

• Appearance (…is everything!)
  • Price tag (it always comes down to money)
  • Popularity (gotta live among the cool kids, right?)
  • Number of fonts included in a typeface (gimme more)
  • Font age (must stand the test of time)
  • Must come from an established type foundry
  • Must stand out from the crowd (Indie type foundry)
  • Multi-language support (no more boundaries)

0 voters

Which 3 generic typefaces would you choose if your life depended on it?

• Arial
  • Verdana
  • Helvetica
  • Georgia
  • Calibri
  • Garamond
  • Trebuchet MS
  • Lucida
  • Tahoma
  • Times New Roman
  • Comic Sans
  • Courier

0 voters

What websites do you usually get your fonts from?

• daFont
  • FontSquirrel
  • Google Fonts
  • FontSpring
  • FontSpace
  • FontStruct
  • 1001fonts
  • UrbanFonts
  • FontFabric
  • CreativeMarket
  • Adobe Fonts
  • Behance Fonts
  • Envato Fonts
  • FontShop
  • MyFonts
  • Fonts .com
  • Others (let us know & comment below)

0 voters

What are your most used or go-to typefaces/fonts? (comment below)

I used to rely on Suitcase Fusion for font management, but I got sick of it for being so slow and clunky when dealing with over 10K fonts, therefore I moved to FontExpert since it’s uber-super fast! However, I do miss a LOT of essential features from Suitcase Fusion.

As for my go-to fonts, they are:

2 Likes

I don’t really pay attention to fonts at all. I use Calibri when word processing. In web design, graphic design, and video work, I just choose whatever looks right.

Am I some kind of font heathen? :thinking:

2 Likes

I rely on Adobe’s font filtering for font management. Lately, I download fonts only from Adobe Fonts as they integrate with all of my creative cloud apps. Generally, I limit myself to a couple of fonts. However, I use different fonts if my clients state in their style guide.

Fonts that I love:

Helvetica
Bebas Neue
Din
Montserrat
Open Sans
Roboto Slab

I am not a fan od serif fonts though, except if I need to create a classy or luxorious looking design.

Oh, and my best investment was paying the creative cloud subscription.

3 Likes

Indeed you are :smiley: Just kidding, you’re actually one of the normal people, not a crazy addict like me. Heck, even @TheFreaky is more normal than I am based on the votes :crazy_face:

Helvetica seems to be the winner of the day. Have you seen the new/upgraded Helvetica Now font? It’s supposed to be the de facto standard to replace all previous Helveticas… but I bet it will just create a bloat of tenths and hundreds of more Helvetica versions to come :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, it is awesome.

By the way, I love 'FF Mark Pro" a lot it’s one of my favorite fonts. It’s the one that MasterCard uses on their logo. I don’t know why, but I love sans serif fonts in that particular style.

Also, GT Walsheim and the font that the city of Stockholm uses are awesome. Oh, and the new typeface that was developed for Vienna is dope.

Edit: Say what you like, but I think that Saffron https://saffron-consultants.com/projects/ ruined a lot of great logos. Except for YouTube’s.

I didn’t know that one…

…nor that one… they both look great, but I like Walsheim better :stuck_out_tongue:

I love sans serifs, too, they have a geometric perfection that’s rather elegant and not clunky as some would think (I read somewhere that back in the old days, when sans serifs were created they weren’t liked or accepted at all by many people, for everyone was used to serifs)

At the same time I love a great serif (OK, that would sound so wrong if we weren’t talking about fonts :sweat_smile: ) because it has even more elegance with a classic touch, and you gotta admit: designing sans font shapes is by nature a lot easier than designing serif font shapes :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but I think you omitted Fujitsu, I think it’s a great logotype!

1 Like

Dang, I haven’t seen that one.

By the way, I don’t like that every new logo is in bold sans serif font. To me, every new logo looks exactly the same, plus everyone uses black and white.

Everything is starting to look like something made in a Marxist-Brutalist style. :joy:

I don’t know if Saffron made the logo, or just developed the logo system on their website.

This logo looks like one developed by Meksel exparts on F. Ugliest logo ever, especially for a telecom company. Their old logo used to be a lot better.

It is still in use in Macedonia though. However, they are going to revert to the new one in a couple of months.

Edit: It seems their VIP brand was used only in the Balkans.

1 Like

Just as I don’t like whole paragraphs or pages with bold-only text - hurts the darn eyes!

Meksell mentality - keep it to the bare minimum, do it fast, and get the cash even faster!

Do you remember there was a trend among logo creators to use & abuse abstract hands/heads ? There were gigs who made quite a lot of cash creating these logos, which ALL looked pretty much alike :roll_eyes:

Whenever I see such a logo, I’m like “ugh, no, stop it, stop the little hands and heads, enough is enough for crying out loud!”

1 Like

I don’t remember those logos selling a lot. It’s quite interesting as they look like the logos of the Olympics. Perhaps, they are popular only at the time when the Olympics are in the center of attention. :smile:

Plus, those logos can be done in a couple of minutes. Generally, on Fiverr, you can create some niche gig - and while it lasts you can cash in a lot. Especially, if you are a meksel.

There is a book that I have, called “Size Matters” it’s focused on how to use fonts to format text the proper way. Sadly, like you already know, I don’t get to read all of the books that I have. It’s either work or school stopping me from doing it. :frowning:

2 Likes

:eyes: :grimacing: :smiley:

Ditto! In my case it’s money that stops me, or lack therefore :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Rob a bank!

2 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

Hey @TheFreaky , have you seen the new version of FontLab VI ? Darn it, it’s so beautiful it makes me wanna design my own fonts!

Even their landing page is awesome and makes me want it!

2 Likes

I love it! Didn’t even know about font lab

2 Likes

Nerds!

All my favorite fonts (the names of which I can’t remember) are behind paywalls, and I’m not paying for a font. I basically use Calibri because that’s what word comes autopackaged with. I think my website uses Myriad Pro, but I’m not sure and I’m too lazy to check. But that’s quite a nice font, too.

/the end of my font knowledge and wisdom

2 Likes

If it wasn’t for the nerds, you’d still be writing on paper with your own handwritten “font” :smiley:

But hey, just like fonts, the types of handwriting have always been a fascination among people :slight_smile:

When I was a kiddo, I fell in love with a girl at school, so bad that I learned her handwriting and used it myself :sweat_smile: #lame I know

2 Likes

All you need to do now is learn her hubby’s handwriting. Then leave her a note saying: “Meet me in the park after work, I have a surprise, come blindfolded,” and she’s all yours. :wink:

3 Likes

:smiley:

You’ve got some great imagination there :eyes:

The fashionable lame teenage crush activity of choice at my school (apart from ‘standing where he might walk by for hours a few minutes’ not that I ever did this :upside_down_face:) was to practice your signature when you married the hunk of your dreams.

Oh, and perhaps copy the way in which they wrote that absolutely dreamy D.

I never did that either. :grimacing:

1 Like