Newbie Sellers with zero or few Reviews on 5r

When I first started on 5r, I used to experiment with newbie sellers all the time. I’d order same project from 2 to 5 sellers to see the quality they would deliver.

The final products varied widely from seller to seller. Some would go overboard while others would give me just plain garbage. I figure the latter probably worked twice as hard, but was over their head - in other words, offering something they didn’t know how to do.

Anyways, I found many great sellers, at rock bottom prices and had the satisfaction of being the first or one of the first few to give a great review and leave a decent tip. At that time max tip was $20 on a $5 order, with a 50 cent admin fee.

They also had the shopping cart, which saved me money, so I can give newbies chances. Ordering 10 x $5 would cost me $52.50.

Well, to make a long story short, I haven’t ordered from a newbie in about 2 years. Aside from the fact 10 gigs would cost me $70.00 now, I just don’t trust the system.

• New sellers with thousands of review mixed in with new sellers with none. Confusing. :confused:

• Pro sellers charging thousands selling template, worse, buying from nonPro, passing off as their own.

• Translators, :cold_face::scream: hard to tell if they are fake or genuine.

I’m sure there are many good, genuine newbie sellers, but I just don’t have a desire to waste my money on bad deliveries. My earlier experiment gave me around 50% results on the average, depending on what I wanted buying. I usually got better results on art than article writers.

I feel bad for the real newbies. I think many buyers have stopped trusting the system and hesitant about buying from them. I know I have.

What are feelings?

1 Like

I’d say quality assurance on Fiverr for new buyers is at an all-time low. For one, the search is just confusing. When I was revamping my gigs, I searched for words like ‘copywriting.’ I’m on the last page of results for that search term. However, there are pages and pages between pages 3 and pages 18, where search results show mainly new sellers with zero reviews.

I don’t see the logic in putting a gig with over 700 reviews like mine to the back of the search.

That all makes it hard to find good sellers. However, the Fiverr new race to the top as far as pricing is concerned, makes it doubly difficult. I started looking at a few gigs where some writers offer blog post writing starting at $45. Many had samples in their portfolio. The problem was that quite a few read to me like they were written by people marginally better than amateurs.

Long running sentences, clearly no understanding of SEO, clumsy use of phrasing and capitalization. It all left me a bit bewildered.

I’ve noticed that the current best selling cryptocurrency writers are predominantly from Nigeria. There is nothing wrong with that. However, two are using near enough the exact same gig description and several don’t strike me as people who really know the space.

I also noticed that the top selling gigs in the cannabis content niche I’m trying to tap also have lousy gig descriptions. i.e. If someone says, “i will write about the cannabis and create content for your business,” that should be a pretty big red flag.

In almost every case, the key to securing a higher search position seems to be to price gigs at $30 or more. That is fine. I would actually like to do that myself. However, established sellers who do that risk waving an unceremonious goodbye to their regular clients. Then as soon as sales volumes dip, sellers take a one way elevator to the bottom of the Fiverr search.

I’m also far from impressed by he new Studio feature. All I see in most cases are studios made of groups of sellers who I would not hire individually. If I saw a studio made up of sellers with 500 reviews or more each, all of whom had some killer gigs, I might have more confidence. At present, though, I’m seeing studios which are obviously put together my leads looking for budget sellers.

I am seriously considering closing my Fiverr account, before making a new one. Then I’d start out charging higher prices and I am pretty sure, grab a spot on page one or two of relevant searches.

From a buyer perspective, iWriter and Writing Bunny are now probably a far better option for buyers on a budget who don’t want to risk what is essentially the pot luck of the Fiverr search. My orders on writing Bunny typically average $18 - $30. I don’t know what the full price the buyer pays is. However, all articles are screened by a Writing Bunny editor after they have been written. If editors don’t like them, they get rejected.

iWriter is more for your budget buyer. That said, you do have more assurances than on Fiverr that you won’t be dissappointed with an article. Sellers have to submit writing samples which need to be manually approved before they can create an account. Writers also have to write articles in a proprietary tool on the iWriter platform. This eliminates the threat of plagiarism and the same tool also makes sure that articles include a reasonable keyword density before they are submitted.

On iWriter, buyers can also reject articles and not pay a penny. That obviously leaves the system wide open to abuse. However, if I was a buyer, (even though as a writer, I don’t feel wowed by iWriter) I’d probably choose iWriter over Fiverr at present.

Finding freelancers that fit all of your requirements is a difficult process. I hired 100 designers for small test projects - and at the end, we hired just 7. Which is less than 10%.

I thought that after Upwork implemented a small fee for applying to jobs would get rid of the mek sells. However, that’s not the case. What happens now is agencies (from India and Pakistan) apply with all of their employees (by the way, their job applications are completely the same). Fast forward to their portfolio, the Indian counterparts, have tons of example illustrations of PM Modi.

I found that the problem with newbie designers is that they think if the design is super-simple and clean the buyer would be mad. Hence, they make their designs over-the-top with tons of patterns, different fonts, and experimental layouts which don’t make sense. However, after a couple of revision rounds, I get awesome results from them.

I never hired writers though…

Yeah, at present Fiver and Upwork might as well rebrand to become the Pakistan Department of Work and Pensions.

No offence to Indians or people from Pakistan. However, there is a clear disparity between the number of new Pakistan and Indian people signing up to places like Fiverr every day vs people signing up from European and North American countries.

I think that this also deters Western people from freelancing. It means that you are entering a world where the majority of buyers want to pay below market rates for work, and every day you have 50 - 100 new competitors undercutting you on price. This is why I’m trying to make the move onto platforms which legitimately vet not just new users as they sign up, but also all of the work they ever produce.

I’m not saying that all Indian and Pakistan freelancers are not talented. However, most are not. It is obvious that many think they are, but them and many others seem to treat freelancing like some kind of magical cash machine.

Compounding all of that, you have the fact that you have huge swathes of buyers who have absolutely no idea how to asses the quality of deliveries. As a case in point, I recently had a lead on my cannabis content gig. The buyer wanted me to work for $5 per 500-word article. Then they gave me the old “your loss, there are hundreds of other writers on Fiverr.”

That’s fine, but this is what you see when you navigate to their online CBD vape product store:

brequests

1 Like

I am off for a weekend adventure. I will be back to comment Monday or Sunday evening.

2 Likes

Think I’d stay away from vaping stuff at the minute:

1 Like

Yeah, most of them see freelancing as get rich scheme. It’s the same thing here on the Macedonian forums, where many young people think the exactly same thing about Freelancing.

I have one gal from Pakistan in my team, she is a kick-ass designer. However, most of my team is from Eastern and Central Europe. I find those freelancers the sweet spot between quality work and budget.

I agree. However, Western people tend to freelance by promoting themselves on Instagram, Behance, YouTube, and personal websites.

For example, in Poland (even though it isn’t a Western country), they have many groups for job posts - and tons of great freelancers. However, they don’t offer their services on Fiverr/Upwork. Most of the people who apply on Upwork are from the following countries:

1. India
  2. Pakistan
  3. Serbia
  4. Sri Lanka
  5. Macedonia
  6. Ukraine
1 Like

This is true, but its also often ineffective unless you are say a designer who works for a design agency, who builds up a following then breaks out into freelancing. i.e. They sneakily take their clients along for the ride and their clients connect them to more clients, etc.

The other route is to be a millennial who breaks out into the social media influencer market. Typically, its a lot harder to do otherwise. Then you have the fact that Fiverr and UpWork aggressively market themselves as the place to hire freelancers in the West. That creates a kind of sales funnel, which is why most buyers are from Western countries.

I have a magazine editor friend who used to proof read my ebooks. She has a nice basket of writing qualifications. In this case, when she was in a bad situation, I suggested that she try using Fiverr, UpWork, PPH, etc. After a week she couldn’t stand it.

The same was true when I tried out coworking. Everyone who used the space was critical about Fiverr and UpWork. They had scored their clients by picking up work locally in Malta from the igaming industry.

I’ve had a few leads on Linkedin where people have reached out to me to ask about writing and even temping for igaming companies. However, it’s not really a market I’m familiar with. Also, I have a strict rule these days about never working for Maltese people. (If you are not Maltese, they treat you like dirt.)

I was telling people from the moment vaping became a thing to steer clear of it. It took me all of 5-minutes to find out that the chemicals used to add different flavors to vape products are well-known to cause lung disease. Then there is the fact that you are breathing water vapor. If that’s so harmless why do people fall ill living in damp blooming houses?

Curiously, there are parallels between how tobacco is purposefully formulated to be harmful and how vape liquids are also. In tobacco, they add ammonia. This increases the rate of absorption in the lungs of nicotine. With vaping, a lot of people don’t like vapor being wet, not dry like smoke. This is is why (despite alternatives being available) the manufacturers use the chemicals they do to add flavor. They do so because as well as adding flavor, they make vaping feel like you are inhaling something similar to dry smoke.

In both cases, the overall goal is to get you smoking or vaping more. That makes sense given that the tobacco industry is behind the vaping trend. Why people never research what’s in the things, I don’t know.

That said, I am rolling a cigarette right this minute… :smoking:

4 Likes

I’m confused. :frowning_face: You can bet any new potential buyer will also be confused! I know the advice given on all the 5r forum is for the buyer to do the research the right seller; however, to be fair, that site is not set up for an easy search.

How is a buyer supposed to understand how to comb through thousands of sellers - who all have 5 star review, so that’s not an easy way to find the right seller.

Hiring an expensive seller is no way a guarantee, on Fiverr - at least, that you will get a high quality seller. New seller doesn’t equate to bad seller nor does lower pricing.

I just don’t want to spend money looking for quality newbies anymore. I can spend hundreds of hours, reading hundreds of reviews for weeks and still land a crappy seller with a crappy end product. Seriously, if 5r spend less time adding useless features and more time on enhancing user experience, their would get more money out of it.

A certain regular seller who did okay work for the so-so product I needed doubled his prices and I stopped buying from him. I only went to him for cheap product on stuff that I really didn’t need the utmost professionalism and it wasn’t worth the price point he was asking.

OTOH, you deliver some awesome work, so frankly, I don’t think to raise your price another $5 or so would deter too many regular buyers, just saying. :wink:

That’s a dismal number. :slightly_frowning_face: All that money 5r spends on advertising is wasted when the buyer they got has a really p[oor experience and leaves forever. Sad, sad, sad to say the least.

I’ve come to notice there are 4x the number of “mek sell” on 5r than ever before. To find a qualified, good (new - no review) seller is hard as heck to find. It’s hard to filter for the true new sellers now a days so it’s :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes