🤔 If a Fool follows another Fool's advice, who is the real Fool?

So, someone told you it was easy to sell on Fiverr?

Create a proofing, illustration, logo or an article gig - money will come pouring in. Stop fooling yourself. There is no such thing as easy money. You want it, then you have to work for it.

Every 5 seconds some is asking how to rank on the first page or why they are no longer on the first page. :roll_eyes:

• Answer: There are a million gigs, why should you be on the first page? You had your chance, now get over it. Guess what? It’s someone else’s turn.

Someone told you to have a “fake hot blond” :blonde_woman: for a profile picture and it will get you more sales.

• Guess what, your talent will get you the sales, not your looks. If you suck at it, you will get complaints and eventually banned from whatever site you are freelancing.

People advise you to post on social media

• Well, that’s crappy advice. If your only source of income is from friends and family who are too nice to unfriend you, then you will run out of clients. When a real client comes along you will be shocked at the bad review.

Price your gig higher and you will get rid of scam buyers

• Another crappy advice. Yes, you will get rid of the cheapskate buyer.

• There is a however here coming: When you charge more, people expect more. I expect an unplagiarized article that is somewhat coherent for $10.

• I expect reference, proofread, perfect alignment, sentence structures that flow effortlessly from one paragraph to the next - other words, perfection for a $100 article.

• Most buyers will give you 5-star review for an okay article for $10, but 1-star review for an okay article for $100.

• If the quality of your work is $10 and you raise it to $20, then your regular buyers will go away and come back when you lower it back to $10.

• If the quality of your work was worth $20 and you were charging $10, your regular buyers will still buy from you.

Stop listening to crappy advice from crappy sellers who gives you false hopes on Quora, Warrior, Reddit or other forums,

You want :moneybag: you gotta work for it.

You want to make sales, you gotta work for it.

Begging won’t get you anywhere, researching and reading will.

So all you lurkers :eyes: - yeah, I’m talking to you, pass it onto your fellow lurkers who are afraid to post here.

Quit :wine_glass: like a little :girl: and do some real work.

3 Likes

If I was drinking like a little girl and not doing work, do you think I would be up at this hour having a cigarette break?

Contrary to what you might have been told, us lurkers aren’t interconnected by a vast lurker Intranet. :wink:

Or maybe they are and I just didn’t get invited… :thinking:

3 Likes

As is ‘work out who your target niche is and market to them’.

For sellers whose gigs are priced on the low side, this will either be a waste of time and/or money.

As seen from the info produced for the IPO, Fiverr spends a great deal of money on buyer acquisition, using paid advertising and accomplished marketers.

The majority of Fiverr sellers, who haven’t got either a marketing budget or marketing experience, can’t be expected to go out and find their potential buyers, bring them to the site and transform them into happy, returning buyers. That’s one of the reasons Fiverr charges 20% commission - they know how tough it is to find new clients and convert them to buyers.

If you find your target market and can convince them to buy from you, why would you want to pay 20% to somebody who’s supposed to be doing that for you?

If you can find potential buyers who are already on Fiverr then the job is much easier.

The difficulty of attracting new buyers to the platform is one of the reasons that Fiverr offers very generous affiliate payouts. :slightly_smiling_face:

Added - to those sellers who do use this method successfully - well done! However, it may not be workable advice for the majority of sellers, although it can be seen as offering advice I suppose. :wink:

2 Likes

I have found that the advanced jedi ‘making a name for yourself on Fiverr then making a website with your name on it’ technique helps with the “marketing”.

Although sadly, so far it has only resulted in one rather stalkery bad buyer who I blocked sending me occasional messages through my contact form, quite a few spam mails from Indian sweatshops for various services, and, of course, my luxury free holiday from Skillshare.

The last one is a bit of a joke, but that was my favorite email that I haven’t done anything about (they wanted me to make a course for them, I considered writing them back suggesting that they send out a film crew to etc. Might send it this weekend - don’t ask, don’t get, after all).

Basically, I don’t do marketing. I hate it (I want to talk rubbish and have fun in my spare time, thankyouverymuch), and I am currently in a position where I don’t have to bother. I’m sure if I were suddenly cast out into the wilderness I’d pull my finger out though. Part of that is why the website is already up :wink:

3 Likes

Yes. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :smile:

So, what you’re saying is that you know other lurkers! Interesting, very, very interesting.

I don’t understand this at all. The business model says it’s more lucrative to keep repeat buyers happy. You know with incentives, such as buyer levels (like sellers have), reduced transaction fees after reaching level xyz, etc.

Finding new buyers is useless if their first experience is crap. They won’t come back. I think they should spend money doing more vetting for quality sellers. I dunno. :woman_shrugging:

B. I. N. G. O.

Isn’t the 20% seller fee & 5% - 40% buyer fee suppose to cover that?

3 Likes

You would think so, but some say it doesn’t and sellers should be doing their own marketing, otherwise they’re not doing their job as sellers properly.

I can’t see how a Wordpress expert (for example) should be expected to know where to find their target market, engage with them, without posting their gig links etc. and persuade them to purchase their services on a platform of which they’re probably not a member. It just seems to be putting a marketer’s job on the shoulders of sellers, and it’s no wonder sellers aren’t doing it. They shouldn’t be castigated for not doing it either.

It would be nice if there were more help available for sellers to learn the basics of how to create a gig which is attractive to those who are already buyers on Fiverr, rather than telling them to ‘find their target market’, who probably aren’t.

2 Likes

I feel like if a seller was good at marketing, he/she would just create their own website and keep the 20% commission. That way, they don’t have to worry about demotion and other stress.

2 Likes

I know way too little about marketing, so take my opinion with a huge bag of salt, but with Fiverr being well known and someone’s personal website (especially if it’s brand new) being completely unknown, it seems to me that marketing one’s Fiverr profile could be considerably easier than marketing one’s personal website.

Of course, it would help if Fiverr’s reputation was better.

3 Likes

Every review site I’ve seen has Fiverr ranked at 1.5 or 1 star for customer support, buyer & seller experiences. Really kinda funny since 99.9 sellers have 5 star reviews!

4 Likes

Fiverr was mostly 2 stars (overall) until VOP. Then a bunch of angry 13 year olds screamed about it with their own reviews, which dragged TrustPilot and SiteJabber scores down to one. Ironically, many of the 5-star reviews are deluded meksells advertising their gig incredibly poorly.

Just to bring it back on topic :wink:

I meant that I don’t do any marketing myself for my website because I hate it. I do it all day, and it’s a nasty, filthy, and corrupt practice. Then again, I may be somewhat jaded today having just written a long script for somebody trying to flog some AliExpress ‘medical assistance’ device to vulnerable people at crazy markups. #donotwantthiskindofproject.

That buyer also pulled the “I have plenty more work for you in the future if you do a good job on this!” line as well. It’s a :poop: trifecta, really.

3 Likes