I Knew Facebook Was Evil - But I Didn't Know It Was This Evil (NSFW)

Warning: You probably shouldn’t watch this video if you are easily emotionally disturbed by the idea of cruelty to animals and children.

I’ve never been interested in social media. When I have tried being part of the FB herd, I’ve just found it annoyingly superficial. IRL I’m also of the opinion that if you need me to be on FB to be my friend, you’re probably not worth me being friends with.

That said, I am opposed to the whole “we need to censor hate speech on social media.” I’ve recently experienced having a YouTuber I argued with in a comment section, (at least I’m assuming it was him) get all my YouTube videos taken down for copyright infringement.

Possibly, I could have fought this and won. However, what is the point? What will stop another narcissist coming along and doing the same?

What really annoys me, though, is how debates concerning things like so-called social media hate speech get primetime news attention. Meanwhile, stories concerning things like FB using user data in the Cambridge Analytica scandal, are forgotten barely a month after breaking.

Neither (bizarrely) do media outlets cover how psychologically damaging social media is. Nor do news outlets address rampant issues like child grooming via platforms like FB as much as they do "he said she said something about X gender, religion, race, etc. We need to do more to stop such behavior."

My point is that as well as making people massively superficial and easy to program with business and government propaganda, social media actively controls how it is presented. If vigilante child abuser hunters can snare a new child abuser on FB every week, shouldn’t that be turning the whole world’s stomach a lot more than insensitive ways of speaking?

Anyway, I know a lot about issues FB and other social media sites should (in my opinion) address before some others. I had no idea, though, just how sick society is becoming through social media until I watched this video:

5 Likes

Will watch the video later tonight…

I used to be on FB a lot (primarily talking nonsense and/or shouting about politics), but I made a NYE resolution to avoid the platform as much as possible. Barring the inevitable Brexit Facebook commentary-a-thon back in March, I maybe take a quick look once a week to check for messages.

Can’t say I miss it - and the timeline primarily seems to be full of AliExpress ads, random fake news channels, and babies. So I don’t really miss it. The trolling was fun though. FB is an excellent place to troll.

I suspect the videos going to be a lot nastier though - I’ve heard bad things about FB Mods and their psychology breaking down due to some of the content they have to look at. I wonder if Zuckerberg makes them listen to Beethoven at the same time?

3 Likes

Oh, my gosh!

This is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. I know there are sickos out there but until I hear about some of the unimaginable things they do, well, it’s just :nauseated_face: .

Why would people post such vile things on Facebook? << sigh >>

4 Likes