Has Anyone Owned a Productivity Tablet That Lasteted 1-Year+

I am having a month of tech mayhem and it is driving me nuts.

First, my website died. I do not know how. I initially put it down to an Elementor update breaking everything. I had a backup. However, when restored from this, it did not restore any of the images or media I have used in posts, etc. In this case, I had to start manually editing every post and page to make things right.

This took forever. Then yesterday, all my plugins updated automatically. I expected this to result in my site breaking again, but it didn’t. This means that in theory, I should not have restored my site and just waited for the original to right itself.

As well as all that, my tablet has died. I’m extremely annoyed about this, as this is my 4th tablet in 3-years.

I started in 2016 with a Windows Surface RT. This died within three months, because the battery refused to charge.

I upgraded to a Surface Pro 2. This died due to an identical problem.

I upgraded again to a Surface 3. This used a different charging setup but… Yep, it died too.

Last year, I ditched the Surface brand and bought a Linx 12x64 tablet with better specs than the current Surface 3. This was an incredible device. (Way better than all the other Surface models I’ve used, and it was even capable of being used in place of my main laptop for most of the work I do.

Three days ago… Yes, you guessed it, the battery stopped charging. Before the battery died, I tried every fix possible. However, as the same fault manifest in both Windows and Linux, I am 100% sure this is a hardware problem.

I could possibly fix this by disassembling the unit. Apparently, physically disconnecting the battery, before reconnecting it, might fix things. With this tablet, I can do that. However, with most other tablets I’ve owned, units have been completely sealed. This annoys me, as do ultra-thin new laptops which are really designed the way they are so that you can’t repair or upgrade anything.

So, this brings me to a quite serious question. Is there a tablet computer on the market which can actually be used for productivity purposes, which doesn’t breakdown after 18-months?

I really don’t think there is. However, if you have had a different experience, I want to know!

Have you tested if it’s just your battery that died?

I had an iPad mini and it lasted almost 2-years, then it broke from a fall. However, I had used it only to reply to clients, YouTube, and gaming. Nothing else.

I think that tablets and the ultrabooks aren’t designed to be used in prolonged periods.

I do have a gaming laptop which I use for heavy-workload only while traveling. I have it almost 3-years and it is working fine, but I don’t use it a lot. Sometimes not even for months.

Yes. The battery usually lasts for 9 - 12 hours at a time. When the battery stopped charging the other day, I had 9-hours to try and find a solution. I’ve also barely used the device in real productivity contexts. I have a power cut at least once a week. I use it then. In summer, if I have only writing work on, I use it to write outdoors.

This is interesting. My uncle had an iPad which died after a fall. This might be the case. However, currently, I’m looking up how Lithium Ion batteries expand over time. This is why I should apparently physically disconnect my battery and reconnect it. The problem seems to be based around battery to device connections being stretched internally. (And a fall could easily exasperate that.)

As it is, I’ve decided to leave my device for two weeks. If it doesen’t work when I try charging it, I’ll try the battery thing.

I get that most tablets aren’t meant for everyday productivity. However, the tablets I buy are and I never over use them. - Quite the opposite in fact.

In any case, if my tablet can’t be fixed, I’ll cannibalize it for parts like the SSD. I doubt I’ll ever buy another, though. :frowning:

Yeah, those tablets have M.2 SSDs which have great resell value.

I am looking to purchase a great ultrabook, but I like to wait for the 10th generation of Intel processors as they would be more energy efficient. I will either go for a Surface laptop or Dell XPS13. As much as I like to get a Macbook Air, they are not worth the money.

DO NOT BUY A SURFACE LAPTOP! They look shiny and nice and they feel that way for a while, but they die and are buggy as hell. Trust me, I’ve sampled a lot in the Surface line. Dell and HP on the other hand are gold. I’m typing this on a second hand Dell from eBay I bought in 2015 and have never had a problem with. It as also been extensively upgraded for very little in the way of $$'s.

My backup laptop is a HP because they are also reliable.

As for processors, if you are waiting for the latest for work purposes, just buy a PC or Laptop compatible with Ryzen CPUs. They are way ahead of Intel in everything but gaming (to an extent). Energy efficiency you can already get by going with a Linux OS. In fact, it’s the OS which dictates energy efficiency in most cases.

1 Like

HP is crap for the Macedonian market. They export only second-class and refurbished products.

I agree for Dell. Although, on various IT forums people say that Dell doesn’t have great QC as they used to do.

Don’t forget the Lenovo thinkpads are still great.

I know the Ryzen 3900X is a true beast for productivity. However, it is super expensive here 600 euros, while the 9900K is 460. Ironically, but Intel has a better price per performance ratio here in Macedonia.

Oh, and Intel has better in gaming performance at the moment. However, once the next gen consoles start rolling, it would be a different thing. As both Playstation 5 and the upcoming Xbox would feature a modified Ryzen 7 - 3800.

The 10th gen Intel processors would be better than anything that AMD has for mobile chips. The new AMD chips (with 7nm node) would come for laptops next year.

If you have seen Qualcomm are preparing a great CPU for small laptops. However, it would be ARM-based and it won’t be a good choice for me as the apps that I use are optimized for X64-86 architecture. Except if Adobe optimizes their creative suite for ARM it’s totally not worth it for me.

Linux isn’t the option for me, as I can’t do jack :poop: without Photoshop and Illustrator. And I don’t like to run Wine or VM.

I’m very familiar with ARM chips. I hacked my first Surface RT to run Lubuntu (badly). Since then I’ve seen a lot of hype about the Qualcom Snapdragon and newer chips. As I see it though, these will only ever cater to the smartphone market. Even then, they will likely fail.

Ryzen I like as I have a friend running 8 cores on a laptop a year older than mine and it is a beast. With my main machine though, I’m reluctant to tamper with it anymore. It works too perfectly, despite having had fags left burning on it and various drinks spilled over it during parties. It is like it is immortal, but I fear that if I ever test it, it might not be.

Linux might not be the best option for you. However, you might be surprised by what you can do. The new version of Blender is just one example.

Thank you for reminding me about ThinkPad! - I may make this my next tablet purchase!

1 Like

I thought that Linux ran very well on ARM chips. Lenovo is making a laptop with Qualcomm 8CX. However, nobody knows it would be good once it hits the market. Personally, I think the only upside would be better battery life. It might be also great for browsing and other light tasks. However, for everything else, it would rely on emulating the X64-86 instructions - which is pretty slow at the moment.

Wait, 8 cores like 8 cores? Not 4 physical cores and 4 logical ones? That is a true beast! My 4 core, 8 threads CPU on my laptop can be a huge bottleneck for gaming.

I agree Blender 2.8 is awesome! Along with Davinci Resolve, you can use Linux for everything video related. I can use gimp for design, however, it lacks most of the features that speed up my work process. I can’t possibly switch to gimp.

Perhaps, if Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo make it on Linux. I might do the switch.

1 Like

That’s the problem. You need developers to release versions of applications which run on ARM. So far there isn’t really the demand. This is why Windows RT, Windows Phone and the few Linux tablets and phones which have used ARM have all failed.

As far as battery life is concerned, you can almost double the battery life of existing tech by running Linux. It is not the fact that Linux requires less power (though it kind of does.) It is the fact that Linux is free of bloatware and the hundreds of background processes which you have in Windows.

That is what I hate about Windows and Android. Look under the hood and there are tons of background processes running, the vast majority of which are just there for data collection/spying purposes.

Anyway, I’ve just bought a laptop and general tech screwdriver set on eBay to have a go at dissasembling my tablet and going full nerd. If it works, I might moonlight as a smartphone and tablet repair guy. Everyone thinks I am anyway. :smile:

1 Like

I used to own a Nokia Lumia 520, it was a decent and fast phone for an awesome price. It run on Window 8.1 (ARM) and you are right the app store didn’t have most of the apps, and the ones that were present (Facebook, Twitter) were bugged and choppy.

I agree. Also, I don’t know if you have noticed but the more RAM you add to your device, the more of those processes are active.

I have problem with the Windows Font Caching service, it slows down my PC after boot. It loads all of the fonts on the RAM and in the process, it slows your PC a lot.

Good luck with that! :nerd_face:

1 Like