And That's How I Finally Snapped

Well, I’ve finally had enough. I have an order due in 8-hours which I have just requested to cancel, as the buyer’s requirements just take the pee.

This buyer ordered 5 x 500-word articles outlined as below:

FOUR SURPRISING INDUSTRIES THAT USE BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY

Target Audience: Aged 23 - 35 adults living in cities who work and have a general understanding of cryptocurrencies and want to learn more. Language must be friendly, relaxed, informative and fun. Please see xxxxxxxxx for reference.

Brief: A 500 word blog that discusses 4 industries that use blockchain technology (do not mention gaming) In the blog explain for each
-What the industry is
-How much the industry made last year (in Europe)
-How this industry use blockchain
-Why they use blockchain/ how it helps them
-What the future could hold for this industry

And this is the problem I keep on having over and over. This isn’t one topic. It is technically, but I’m basically being asked to comprehensively research 4 different industry sectors. - And there is no way all this info fits into a 500-word blog and the buyer knows it.

Another article was to detail 5 countries that have adopted cryptocurrency, say how each is using it, how much they are benefiting economically by doing so, and what industries (in each) are predominantly using crypto. - And this is followed by 3 other briefs which all go well beyond the scope of what constitutes a single $15 (per article) order.

It’s like I get buyers who everything starts off fine with. This buyer, for example, has never placed an order like this before. Usually, their orders focus on specific subjects like how cryptocurrency may help underbanked cannabis businesses in California.

Then suddenly a switch flips, and they start hitting me with briefs for orders which are really 3-4 orders in one. This really upsets me, as I try to base my prices very competitively. In my mind, I have this stupid idea that this will appreciated. However, it isn’t. All it does is encourage some people to try and sneakily get as much as possible done, as quickly as possible, for as little as possible.

Anyway, I sent a cancellation request, only for the buyer to reject this and say that they now want a full refund. This makes no sense, as that’s what they would have got by agreeing to cancel. - Unless (like I have a suspicion they might be) they are implying that they want a refund on all the past work I’ve done for them.

Needless to say, that’s happening since it’s all up on their website. But you never know…

In either case, as soon as I have my next orders out the way, I’m going to start creating gigs which I basically just outsource (though not on Fiverr) and see if this makes things easier for a while.

This seems like it could open another can of worms - the more people involved in the creation of a product, the more complicated it can get, particularly when a lot of things are outside of your control (such as a simple ability to just say ‘aw heck no’ to an order like this without having to go through the BS above), and also the contracted writer experiencing their own issues - natural disaster, death, laziness, writer’s block, work-eating dogs…). Could be an interesting experiment, though. What are you thinking on the profit margins? Or will this be more of a potential reviews-booster?

Perhaps this comic will help? It always makes me laugh when I’m feeling a bit crappy about things:

(PS the block function came back for me - perhaps it has for you, too? Use it on this guy!)

I really do recommend putting your prices up, it cuts down on these kind of buyers a lot and will reduce your stress a lot. Mind you, I probably would have not cancelled with this guy but explained this wasn’t enough, so I’d need $xx to cover the extra words for a blah blah blah and alternatively we can cancel. Unless you want 50 words to cover each section in depth with a conclusion and an introduction, because lol.

If they are using your work - then have them take it down, like you have done before in the past.

I’d like to think that people that have never owned their own business or freelanced are the ones who go about taking advantage not knowing the time/effort that was put into it. Unfortunately, I’ve come to learn that some actually do know pretty well. They do it intentionally because they feel then can or they want to take out their frustration on someone else.

I also think those that force you to work with them by ordering a gig after the seller says to go elsewhere have a superiority complex. They feel like they own you. It’s like a “ha, ha, I got you.” :roll_eyes:

Well, only small people with small minds with an Inferiority Complex have Superiority Complex!

They actually wanted me to refund them via PayPal so they would get their fee back from Fiverr. Talk about cheek.

Sadly, it is intentional. When I was using a local coworking space last year, there was a guy who just outsourced everything he did for the lowest price possible. What he was delivering to his clients was largely junk. However, he didn’t care because he knew that most of his clients don’t know how to tell if something is junk or not.

Whoa! :scream: That is nuttier than a Nut! What a screw :8ball: ! They actually thought you’d say yes to that? :confused:

Why don’t people have respect for other people’s time?

. . . :drum: That’s the problem I have with translators. There is no way for me to tell if what they wrote is genuine for google.